Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Recent Work: Dead Flower Print



This is a recent print I have been working on.

My wife and I love flowers. We are not gardeners, but we like them enough to buy fresh ones every week. I am always inspired by them, and I’ll say to myself, “boy, I’ve really got to draw those flowers,” or “I have to photograph those flowers.” But for some reason, I never get around to it until they are dying or dead. At first I thought this was just procrastination, but now I think I just like them in a state of decay. I felt better about this somewhat morbid preference after recently hearing this quote by the British novelist, Jim Crace, being interviewed on The Diane Rehm Show:

“[Many people today think of nature as consisting of] rainbows and nightingales and daffodils, things that look good and smell good. Actually, a greater truth about the natural world is that it is made up of compost, and until we start to recognize that the earth is made up of creatures and death and putrefaction and glorify that as well, we are going to lose touch with the world.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is such a stunning flower art.